[seek-kr-sms] GrOWL Applet

Ferdinando Villa ferdinando.villa at uvm.edu
Wed Jan 28 08:58:44 PST 2004

Congrats to Serguei and Rich for these encouraging results! Now what we
need is to make the representation easy to understand - of course we are
not asking our "average user" to wade through intersection nodes and
restrictions, but at least in browsing mode, we want a smart (and
hopefully configurable) graph transformation step to turn this into the
simplest and clearest concept map imaginable.  I think we need a wider
group consensus on this, but here are a few points to start with:

- recognize Intersection/Union nodes that link two classes and just
label them something like "is both" or "is one of", consistently with
"is a";

- recognize those that point to restrictions and use some variation of
the "is a" theme with a "where" link attached

Coming up with a full set of these simplifications won't be easy but I
think the success of the approach will rest on it. Ideas, anyone? If we
could define these transformations parametrically and load them into the
editor as a style sheet, that would be the best. We may even want to use
some smart graphical symbols in the future.

Ciao
ferdinando