[seek-kr-sms] Re: [seek-dev] full garp pipeline

Shawn Bowers bowers at sdsc.edu
Mon Feb 9 14:40:35 PST 2004

Bertram Ludaescher wrote:

>>>I guess the fact that there is no actor is on purpose (this seems to
>>>be a design workflow, not an executable one).
>

> CB> If you mean director instead of actor, then yes.
> CB>
>
> yes, that's what I meant.
>

>>>In the long run, we may actually have a "design director" -- if
>>>nothing else, it could do type checking and other static analysis!
>>>

> CB> that's a good idea.  I'd thought about that a couple times before,
> CB> although I'm not sure if there is a need.  the type system works without
> CB>   a director.
>
> Right. But how about the semantic type checking -- well, ideally it
> should become part of the "regular" type checking.
> Another try: what about scheduling? Now this needs a
> director. But we can probably reuse the existing directors, if you
> implement your generic design/blank-slate actor (and its instantiated
> versions) in such a way that they output some (fixed or generated)
> gobbledygook, just for the purpose of simulating the actual execution

One thing that we might consider adding to a "design director" are
access to simple planning rules and an interface for exploiting these
rules.  As an example, a scientist may wish to connect two actors that
do not have compatible types, but by adding intermediate conversions,
they can be made to be compatible.  The director would search for and
suggest appropriate conversions. Another related use would be an "actor
completion" functionality.  Based on an existing actor, we might ask the
director to find matching actors that could take the existing actor's
output as input, perhaps based on "keywords" acting as filters.

Ultimately (but maybe not part of SEEK), it would be nice to have a
button that "cleans up" the designed workflow -- applying rules for
simplifying loops, checks that the workflow does not have erros, and so
on -- where this button is implemented by or part of the design director.

Shawn