[seek-kr-sms] growl pre alpha release

Serguei Krivov Serguei.Krivov at uvm.edu
Tue Aug 3 07:21:43 PDT 2004

Since Shawn asked about the current growl I have made a jar out of what
we have in this stage and put it at:
http://ecoinformatics.uvm.edu/dmaps/growl/GrOWLEditor.jar

It is an application that has manifest of main class so just use
java -jar GrOWLEditor.jar

Mind the capitalization (or in windows you need just double click on jar
icon).

On the toolbar there is a button with notebook and pen that will bring
you to editing mode. Note that now you can start and stop the automatic
layout, and so I may recommend even this version  for preparing pictures
of semantic networks.  When you press buttons related to classes,
instances, etc on tools palette  you will create them by clicking on the
panes. If you press a relation (property, constraint) button, point on
the selected node (yellow one) and drag an arrow to another node then
relation node is created. You could create relations  first and then
arrows that connect it. There are some defaults: Say if you drag an
arrow from an individual to a class then instance-of link is created,
even if instance of button on tool palette is not pressed. These
defaults are possible because we decided to use owl-dl only. Inowl-dl
only one meaningful relation between individual and a class is
"instance-of". If user tries to create something that does not fit in
owl-dl then nothing is created and no warning is given.

I think that the best way to understand growl constructs is to open a
simple ontology file and see how it is rendered. I attached one such
file here. Or you may try to open wine ontology. It is a bit slow with
big ontologies unless the locality is restricted. (for this check the
buttons on the toolbar, they all have hints)

Important: It is not yet an alpha release, please do not distribute this
link outside of kr-sms. We have some problems to fix:

- Saving of certain constructs do not work
-When you type numbers for cardinality constraints you have to press
"Enter" which you have not to do by editing other field.

As Ferdinando says "software never has a second chance" so it is best to
make it clean before distributing it widely. On the other hand this
pre-release is probably sufficient to discuss growl related issues. I
will make a list and send it, or start sending them by small portions.