[seek-kr-sms] Re: Taxon/KR integration prototype proposal

Deana Pennington dpennington at lternet.edu
Wed Apr 28 10:30:14 PDT 2004

Nico,

Good comments...  actually, this is a discussion about inductive vs
deductive methods in science, and you are right, both have a place.  I
cannot generate a hypothesis without looking at information first, and
applying inductive reasoning.  The best hypotheses come from merging
what is already known with new observations.  The trick is to understand
how the new observations (perhaps from data mining) link with what is
already known (formal ontologies).  I think ontological hypothesis work
could include both 1) specifying a hypothesis in terms of existing
ontologies in order to search for relevant data and analyses, and 2)
IT-enabled hypothesis generation from a combination of ontologies and
data mining.  Having worked on a data mining project with Tony Fountain,
I can say that the tools that are out there are not adequate for the
kinds of inductive reasoning that we need to do.  Most of them are
statistical classification algorithms, or event detection algorithms.
The spatiotemporal pattern searching that goes on conceptually in the
mind of a scientist are not captured very well by these methods.

Deana

--
********

Deana D. Pennington, PhD
Long-term Ecological Research Network Office

UNM Biology Department
MSC03  2020
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM  87131-0001