[seek-dev] Re: [Fwd: [seek-kr-sms] Taxon/KR integration prototype proposal]

Deana Pennington dpennington at lternet.edu
Wed Apr 28 09:04:01 PDT 2004

Seems like if we have ontologies that represent what is known, and
explicitly link analyses and data to those ontologies, that we could
represent a hypothesis in terms of the formalized ontology, then drive
the data and analysis discovery from that.  This seems like a very
intuitive approach to me, and doesn't seem like it would be that
difficult to do, but then, I'm not the one that has to make it happen :
)   I'm thinking that, for example, if I generated a hypothesis that
linked sinkhole occurrence with some environmental variables, and
formalized that hypothesis in terms of an existing geologic ontology,
that the geologic ontology would link with statistical and measurement
ontologies from which it could be reasoned that a logistic model of
occurrence data (dependent var) and environmental layers (independent)
would be relevant.  The geologic ontology would link with a stat
ontology, which would link with an ecological ontology, where the garp
model could be found, then used in an entirely different domain than the
one for which it was constructed.

We talked about this some in our breakout group in Santa Barbara, but
ontologically-contructed hypothesis generation is something I have been
thinking quite a bit about. In fact, when I was at NSF in January, I was
asked what one thing I would recommend to enable synthetic research, and
I responded that I would force would-be multidisciplinary teams to
construct ontologies around all of the concepts relevant to their
question of interest then explicitly show how their proposed research
was going to extend/clarify the ontologies.  I have also suggested to
Bob Waide that we go for funding to hold some working meetings with some
of the LTER groups who are trying to come up with proposals for
synthetic research, to do exactly that.  I haven't heard back from him,
but I think this approach might be an opportunity to do some very
interesting, new research within the kr/sms group.

Deana

Shawn Bowers wrote:

> Shawn Bowers wrote:
>

>> (Note that I moved this thread to kr-sms ... and off of seek-dev)
>>
>>  > Actually, this seems to me to be a fundamental difference in the way
>>  > CIS/IM and domain scientists approach problems.
>>
>> Even in computer science, research follows the model you describe
>> directly below. In addition, I believe that most fields in CS are not
>> data-driven -- even in database fields (we don't care about the data,
>> we care about the algorithms and their generality).  There are CS
>> fields that are more closely related to branches of psychology (e.g.,
>> human-computer interaction, and natural language processing) that are
>> exceptions.  Typically the hypothesis testing in these more
>> "touchy-feely" CS fields strongly depends on the experimental data,
>> and use standard techniques to evaluate their hypothesis ... These
>> may use available data, or they may require designing new experiments
>> to get data.  I would consider these both data-driven.  And, these
>> are definitely useful endeavors -- e.g., in the field of medicine.
>

> I meant to say, that medicine is another field that I would say is
> "data driven" in this way.
>

>> The way you characterize data-driven below reminds me of data mining
>> -- you have some data and you try to find patterns in the data.  I
>> definitely don't advocate this approach in SEEK ... and this isn't
>> really what I was suggesting before.
>>
>> So, I think we agree that pure tool-driven (not sure of an example)
>> and data-driven approaches (data mining in the traditional sense) are
>> out (I don't think we ever thought they were in, but anyway ...), and
>> users of SEEK technology generally will have a hypothesis in mind
>> when they interact with the system, is it useful to try to capture /
>> represent hypothesis in the system, and if so, how could they be
>> exploited and how could they be practically represented?
>>
>> For example, could workflows be organized based on their
>> applicability to certain styles of hypothesis?  Or, as a holy grail,
>> you could imagine a scientist entering a hypothesis and the system
>> actually trying to organize data and services that could be used to
>> test the hypothesis (where the hypothesis is like a query, I
>> suppose). For the latter, GEON is actually designing, and has
>> designed, many of their test cases and use cases around specific
>> hypothesis ... as opposed to the approach in SEEK of focusing test
>> cases on a tool (GARP).
>>
>> Shawn
>>

>> Deana Pennington wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry so long to reply...I've been at a conference without e-mail...
>>>
>>> The entire scientific process is designed around testing
>>> hypotheses.  You come up with a research question of interest, then
>>> create an analysis to test it.  NSF funding (and other funding
>>> sources) are completely based on the strength (scientific merit) of
>>> the question and how well thought out the proposed methodology is.
> [...]

********

Deana D. Pennington, PhD
Long-term Ecological Research Network Office

UNM Biology Department
MSC03  2020
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM  87131-0001