[seek-kr-sms] taxonomists teaching computers what ecologists should know

Joseph Goguen goguen at cs.ucsd.edu
Wed Apr 21 21:21:24 PDT 2004

Hello!  A very interesting post!  Id like to suggest that
people on this list might want to read *Sorting Things Out*
by Bowker and Star (MIT 1999), which is a deep sociological
study of categories and classification.  Many of their case
studies have a biological flavor, including the International
Classification of Diseases, the Nursing Intervention Classification
and the color classification system used in apartheid South Africa.

I am afraid that this kind of work makes Sowa's approach look
rather naive.  It also raises some interesting ethical issues.

Cheers,

   joseph