[seek-kr-sms] OWL Inference APIs (was Re: SMS stuff)

Ferdinando Villa ferdinando.villa at uvm.edu
Wed Apr 7 09:01:11 PDT 2004

Going back to the DL reasoners discussion, does anyone at this point
share my feelings that we won't get away with this if we don't have a
fully open source reasoner architecture where types and operators for
concrete domains can be arbitrarily extended? As an obvious and
well-known example, implementing any reasoning on space will require
robust spatial operators which are many and complex. Other forms of
reasoning we may need could require access to name resolution services
that require too large a KB to handle in owl. In general, a plugin-based
architecture where we can associate concepts with known literal formats
and operator implementations sounds like a necessity to me.

We may get away with OWL reasoners alone, but if we in fact need
something like this, it sounds to me that we should start planning
sooner rather than later.... and it sounds like something we (Bertram +
Gund) could successfully work on together. There's a lot of experience
here on plugin-based architectures, robust topological operators, and
client/server architectures, and Serguei seems increasingly eager to try
his ideas on DL reasoning out :)...

Ciao
ferdinando