[seek-kr-sms] SMS Partial Design -- Request for Comments

Shawn Bowers bowers at sdsc.edu
Thu Apr 1 12:30:33 PST 2004

Hi everyone,

I checked in some additions to the SEEK SMS design docs I've been
working on.

In particular, this document contains all of the most recent stuff that
is finished as a draft.

Here it is:

http://cvs.ecoinformatics.org/cvs/cvsweb.cgi/seek/projects/kr-sms/docs/SMS-API-Design-Apr01-2004.pdf

I would really like your feedback on this (somewhat preliminary) design,
  before moving on to additional design work and prototyping (which I
have already started, but anyway), etc.

The design consists of a very high-level view of the services provided
by KR/SMS.  Then, it goes over four informal use-cases: (1) defining
semantic registration mappings, (2) semantic dataset discovery (of which
there is a prototype, but more on that later), (3) semantic actor
classification (an alternative or supplement to the current Kepler
proposal -- the idea being that the KR/SMS component leverages
ontologies for dynamically constructing relevant Kepler file folders for
browsing actors), and (4) structural data transformation for actor
composition.  [Note that these use cases are just a preliminary set of
use cases for KR/SMS -- to get things going for development and to
appease our project manager :-) ]

The first two use cases have some detail: The registration use case
provides a notional interface for easy semantic attachment and sequence
diagrams; The dataset discovery shows an example query (with a similar
interface as for registration) and a corresponding sequence diagram. The
last two use cases are not "filled" out in this style. Note that there
are no "words" for the slides (unless you count the 1000 words
associated with each picture).

I would really appreciate your feedback, comments, etc. on this stuff.

Thanks,
Shawn