[seek-dev] kepler quicksearch

Peter McCartney peter.mccartney at asu.edu
Mon Sep 19 11:14:45 PDT 2005

Ok, I'll bite. What were you thinking of renaming the EcoGrid api to?

Let me throw in one thought. We (my lab, that is) currently make our
data available through a web service that as yet has no convenient way
of conveying through EML how to connect to it - ie, there is no handy
url scheme like
xylopia://hostname:port?id="[dataset_id]"&query_expression="[query
expression]". I could publish a WSDL for my service, but unless you can
also access the namespace for the xsd that defines what "query
expression" looks like, that does you little good. I could also use the
connectionDefinition element that already exists in EML, but I suspect
that ASU is the only place really using this and we don't particularly
like it anyway. So I'd like to suggest when renaming our api, we
consider how we can formalize some url schemes for data services so that
we can put webservice connections in the URL element of eml.

I think this is an issue across all of LTER. Most sites currenly use
some local code to manage security and logging of data access, requiring
users to actually go to their website to use the gui interface. If we
get them to make wrappers to these services such that kepler or other
programs could access the data without using the gui, setting a standard
for a URI scheme would help set some stardards for how they write these.

Peter McCartney(peter.mccartney at asu.edu)
International Institute for Sustainability
Arizona State University
480-965-6791