[seek-dev] kepler quicksearch

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri Sep 16 18:46:14 PDT 2005

Bertram,

This is already how it works.  Quick search is configured in a text
config file to set the fields that are searched from multiple metadata
standards.  I'm simply asking Jing to add to this default set of fields
one that I think would be useful i the default search -- taxonomy.

Personally, I think the EcoGrid API (I am going to ask that we rename
this soon) is pretty lightweight itself -- its the GT implementation
that is a bit heavier.  Perosnally I don't think EcoGrid is big and
bulky at all -- in fact, it a super simple API with only a handful of
methods.  Which makes implementation on new data systems relatively
easy.  Earlier suggested approaches (like support for XQuery that we
rejected) would have been much bigger and bulkier, and far harder to tie
into existing data systems in use around the country.

Could you calrify what you think is bulky?  get()?  query()?  login()?
logout()?  put()?  something else? or are you referring to the use of
globus mainly?  Thanks for the clarification.

GAMA is also pretty straightforward.  Given we want access to resources
that use a variety of authentication and authorizaiton schemes, it seems
like a great approach to me.  Do you know of a better API that we should
consider that support, e.g., LDAP and MyProxy?

Matt

Bertram Ludaescher wrote:

>One other concern regarding this solution: I fear that this will be
>hardwired in the code, right?
>
>I think a better solution would be to declare, e.g., via a set of views,
>which fields are being queried.
>
>That one the code wouldn't have to be changed when one decides to turn
>on/off certain fields for search. In fact, the user could specify which
>parts are to be searched..
>
>We could have a user-definable search option (where to search) and a
>full-text index...
>
>Bertram
>
>On Fri, 16 Sep 2005, Jing Tao wrote:
>

>>Hi, matt:
>>
>>I will do it.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Jing
>>
>>Jing Tao
>>National Center for Ecological
>>Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS)
>>735 State St. Suite 204
>>Santa Barbara, CA 93101
>>
>>On Fri, 16 Sep 2005, Matt Jones wrote:
>>

>>>Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:47:52 -0800
>>>From: Matt Jones <jones at nceas.ucsb.edu>
>>>To: Jing Tao <tao at nceas.ucsb.edu>
>>>Cc: seek-dev <seek-dev at ecoinformatics.org>
>>>Subject: kepler quicksearch
>>>
>>>Jing,
>>>
>>>Could you modify the current QuickSearch in Kepler against EML and make sure
>>>that it is searching the taxonomic fields, mainly "taxonRankValue", along
>>>with the other title/abstract/keywords/creator fields?  That way, when
>>>someone searches for a scientific name in Kepler they should get results back
>>>from both EML and DarwinCore.  Thanks.
>>>
>>>Matt

Matt Jones
jones at nceas.ucsb.edu                         Ph: 907-789-0496