[seek-dev] update on TOS Kepler actors

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Sep 7 13:12:37 PDT 2005

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the summary.  We agreed on the approach of using simpleTypes,
and I still think that is the best approach, so no changes there.  Could
you send seek-dev a configured workflow that exercises all of the TOS
functions via the web services actor?  That way Dan and I can see it in
action using Kepler.  I'll probabaly check it in so Dan can see how to
use it within the ENM workflow.  Thanks.

I mostly agreed with the ENM workflow you described below, but I think
there is a critical modification that I think you missed.  We need to
make sure name strings are not used multiply among different concepts,
i.e. each name is assigned to only one concept.  Procedurally, once we
have the list of accepted species-concepts from TOS, we get the list of
synonym names that have been used for that concept.  Then for each
synonym name, we see what the most likely concept is for that name, then
assign it to that (and only that) concept.  Then you move onto querying
DiGIR for each concept using the associated set of names we've established.

This addition is important to make sure that we are not re-using
collection records in multiple species runs of the ENM.

Thanks.
Matt

Matt Jones                                     jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
University of California Santa Barbara