No subject

Tue Mar 22 16:40:45 PST 2005

great!

For "semantic types", one necessary feature required is to support
semantic type "annotation" at a very fine granularity. In particular, for
a given port, with a structured type of record, e.g., we need to "attach"
a concept to single components of the record and to groups of components
of the record. (I say "attach" because there are different
ways/interpretations for the attachment that must be characterized as
well).  If the record contains additional sub-structure (i.e., one of  its
components has a structured type), we may also need to attach concepts to
those substructures as well, etc. (E.g., this is what is done for XML).

At a higher level, we also will need to attach concepts to individual
ports, and groups of ports.

To perform the "constraint" checking for semantic types, we would need to
insert our own algorithm, and so having a componentized architecture for
this checking is great.  (I am assuming you designed it this way, but
didn't look into the code.)

Having the "hooks" for the unit type system seems like it offers a great
start. Thanks for the heads-up.

shawn