[seek-dev] paper on automatically composed workflows

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Sep 9 14:55:21 PDT 2004

Hey,

I found this paper from a news source today -- it does much of what we
propose to do using semantics for workflow composition.  really
fascinating.  Thought you'd be interested.  Link and abstract are below:

Matt

Automatically Composed Workflows for Grid Environments
J Blythe, Ewa Deelman, and Yolanda Gil; IEEE Intelligent Systems
http://www.computer.org/intelligent/ex2004/x4016.pdf

"Grid computing today is far from the reach of regular computer users.
To use a grid, many users must provide a detailed executable script
specifying the jobs that should run, the hosts and files to use, and
sometimes the specific scheduler in the host computer. Our research
aims to develop intelligent middleware components that encapsulate the
expertise required to use grids. Earlier, we used AI planning
techniques to automatically generate executable job workflows from
high-level specifications of desired results. We integrated our planner
in a grid environment to extract relevant knowledge from existing grid
middleware. One of our application domains is the Laser Interferometer
Gravitational Wave Observatory (LIGO), which aims to detect pulsars.
The planner can be given the high-level goal of making a search in
certain areas of the sky over a certain time period. Our solution for
LIGO uses semantic descriptions of the workflow processes and of the
files they require and produce, to compose the workflow automatically.

Matt Jones                                     jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
University of California Santa Barbara