[seek-dev] Re: Registry and ecogrid clients

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Sep 2 09:14:09 PDT 2004

Hi Steve,

Steve Tekell wrote:
> What's the status and plans for the registry?
> I am mostly interested in client components, not the JSP page but the
> registry services.
>
> Is this something that is mostly done or just experimental?
There is something that is experimental that Rod put together.  He can
send the URL.  We need to revisit this.  I was talking with Bertram
about this being Bing's next high priority item, but we haven't decided
who is going to work on it.  Part of the issue is deciding whether to
stick with using Metacat as the registry holder, or to move to a Globus
Tookit based registry.  I did some early experimentation with the
registry service provided by globus and it is very close to what we
want, but hard to install (as you discovered).  Rod put together the
current registry in relatively short order, but my impression is that it
needs some additional APIs to be effective.  We've already outlined
those APIs in our previous discussions -- in particular, the Seattle
meetings notes:
seek/projects/ecogrid/docs/meeting-notes/ecogrid-mtg-notes-20030923.txt
seek/projects/ecogrid/docs/meeting-notes/Ecogrid-23Sep2003.png

> Will a registry client jar be included in the
> \seek\projects\ecogrid\lib\ecogrid_client_lib folder at some point?
Yes, we need that.  The EcoGrid client jar should have functions for
communicating with the registry.  Again, the 4 methods are sketched out
in the notes above and need to be developed further.

> One could then build client web apps and other clients by just using the
> libs in that folder.  In general, is that not the goal for all ecogrid
> client stuff?
Yep.

> Also, the build_reg.xml currently depends on things outside of CVS like
>     <property name="soap.lib" value="S:\soap-2_3_1\lib"/>
>     <property name="xalan.lib" value="S:\xalan-j_2_5_2\bin"/>
>
> which would need to go there if the registry client needs those.
Yep.

> And here's an funny one in both ecogrid/build.xml and build_reg.xml
>
> <copy file="${ogsa.root}/lib/xalan.jar"
> todir="${build.lib}/${client.lib.dir.namehttp://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/12/
> 22/ca.earthquake/index.html}/${client.lib.dir.name}"/>
>     <copy file="${ogsa.root}/lib/xercesImpl.jar"
> todir="${build.lib}/${client.lib.dir.namehttp://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/12/
> 22/ca.earthquake/index.html}/${client.lib.dir.name}"/>
Looks like an accidental change -- someone can track that down using
cvs's revisions, but its probably easier to just fix it.

Matt Jones                                     jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
University of California Santa Barbara