[seek-dev] RE: Handle IPCC package in Kepler ---> Solution was found!

Bing Zhu bzhu at sdsc.edu
Fri Oct 29 17:40:53 PDT 2004

Jing and Matt,

Luckily our SRB teammate, Arun Swaran Jagatheesan, knew how to solve our
problem with
big files.

The problem is caused by the default size of the memory allocation pool,
which is 2MB by default.
please check out the following link for -Xms and -Xmx option for java
command.
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/tooldocs/solaris/java.html

So the solution is to increase the size of memory allocation pool for a java
program. In our case, this needs
to be done in both client and server side with the following argument.
    $ java -Xms500m -Xmx500m ....
, which sets the initial size of memory allocation pool to 500 MB.

I did so for the tomcat server at orion.sdsc.edu. And then I ran client with
this arguments. I was able to
get the 16 MB file through our ecogrid 'get' operation as of following.

    $ java -Xms500m -Xmx500m
org.ecoinformatics.ecogrid.client.EcogridQueryClient get ...

Please try your client again with the GSH at orion.sdsc.edu:
  http://orion.sdsc.edu:8091/ogsa/services/org/ecoinformatics/ecogrid/QueryS
erviceLevelOne

Sincerely,