[seek-dev] new XQuery API

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed May 26 13:59:23 PDT 2004

I found this announcement of a new JSR track for an XQuery API in Java
(XQJ) to be of relevane to our EcoGrid work.   Its something we shoud
follow as it progresses.

Matt

XQuery API for Java (XQJ) 1.0 Specification
Jan-Eike Michels (ed), Early Draft Review JSR

XQuery 1.0 is a query language being developed by the W3C XML Query
Language Work Group. The XQuery API for Java (XQJ) specification is to
define a set of interfaces and classes that enable an application to
submit XQuery queries to an XML data source and process the results of
these queries. The design of the API will also take into account
precedents established by other JSRs, notably JDBC and JAXP.  The
specification relates to XQuery in the same way that JDBC relates to
SQL. The specification may also provide the ability to submit XPath 2.0
expressions to an XML data source, though XPath 2.0 is not a proper
subset of XQuery 1.0 in the latest public working drafts. XQJ may allow
an application to specify queries using XQueryX, the XML representation
of XQuery queries. According to the Early Draft: "In a typical scenario,
the basic building blocks of an XQJ application are connecting to an
XQuery implementation, creating an expression (or prepared expression)
from the connection, possibly binding values for external variables
used in an expression (or prepared expression), executing the expression
(or prepared expression), processing the result, optionally repeating
[the preceding steps] as needed, and closing the connection, thereby
freeing all resources allocated for this connection."

http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=225
See also XML and Query Languages: http://xml.coverpages.org/xmlQuery.html

Matt Jones                                     jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
University of California Santa Barbara