[seek-dev] support for multiple new types in Kepler

Bertram Ludaescher ludaesch at sdsc.edu
Mon May 10 02:40:39 PDT 2004

Since we just chatted about some of this I wanted to through out the
question again as to what people think how we might extend Ptolemy's
type system to support (a) XML Schema (-like) types as they are used
in web services and other apps, and (b) semantic types (in the SEEK
sense).

It seems that Ptolemy II already has an XML token type. However I
think the (somewhat unnecessarily complex) XML Schema types are not
supported, in the sense that there are no XML Schema port types (as
far as I know), so no static type checking when linking XML ports is
done.

Maybe Relax NG could also be a (simpler and apparently
better/extensible etc) alternative to XML Schema, should we decide to
support static XML types in Kepler. The type extension mechanism could
(wild speculation ahead) possible be also (mis-)used for our semantic
typing extensions...

Bertram
PS http://www.relaxng.org/