[seek-dev] New Ecological Niche Model Framework: openModeller

Pereira, Ricardo Scachetti rpereira at ku.edu
Mon May 3 09:37:08 PDT 2004

	Dear SEEKers and Keplers,

	I would like to present a new open source project that might be
of interest to you. It's called openModeller
(http://openmodeller.sourceforge.net/index.php).
	It is an object oriented framework designed to support
implementation and testing of ecological niche modeling algorithms. It
is implemented in C++ and it is well supported in Linux/Unix platforms
(Windows support is under way).
	The major features of the framework include:
	  - Improved data access to environmental data. Algorithms can
use a wide variety of formats (those supported by GDAL) and layers can
stored in different resolution and different projection systems;
	  - Extensible design allows implementation of new algorithms
reusing data access (and other not yet implemented) algorithm related
infrastructure.
	This release includes a major reengineering/reimplementation of
GARP algorithm (so I encourage you to evaluate this framework as a
replacement for the current GARP code being integrated to Kepler).
	It also includes another important algorithm called Climate
Space Model (CSM) and other not so important ones that we implemented
just for fun (and testing).
	The first official release (v0.1 alpha) has occurred last week,
so check it out.
	Here are some other links regarding that project:

Website:                 http://openmodeller.sourceforge.net/index.php
SourceForge site:        http://sourceforge.net/projects/openmodeller/
Developers mailing list:
Users mailing list:
CVS Monitor site:
http://www.linux-gis.co.uk/cgi-bin/cvsmonitor/cvsmonitor.pl?cmd=viewBrow
seModule&module=openModeller.Main
IRC chat server and chanel: irc.kde.org #openmodeller

	Regards,

Ricardo

--
Ricardo Scachetti Pereira