[seek-dev] Re: [seek-kr-sms] UI

Deana Pennington dpennington at lternet.edu
Fri Jun 11 13:46:43 PDT 2004

Shawn & Rod,

I think these are all great suggestions, and we've been discussimg
putting together a group of ecologists for a couple of days of testing, but:

1) we thought that there are some major issues with the interface as it
stands right now that need to be fixed before we try to get a group
together, and
2) a decision needs to made about the useability engineer position, so
that person can be involved right from the start in user testing and UI
design

So, I think we should table this discussion until the above 2 things are
resolved.  It's obvious that this needs to be addressed soon.

Deana

Shawn Bowers wrote:

> Rod Spears wrote:
>
>> (This is a general reply to the entire thread that is on seek-kr-sms):
>>
>> In the end, there are really two very simple questions about what we
>> are all doing on SEEK:
>>
>> 1) Can we make it work?
>>     a) This begs the question of "how" to make it work.
>>
>> 2) Will anybody use it?
>>     a) This begs the question of "can" anybody use it?
>>
>> Shawn is right when he says we are coming at this from the
>> "bottom-up." SEEK has been very focused on the mechanics of how to
>> take legacy data and modeling techniques and create a new environment
>> to "house" them and better utilize them. In the end, if you can't
>> answer question #1, it does matter whether you can answer question #2.
>>
>> But at the same time I have felt that we have been a little too
>> focused on #1, or at the very least we haven't been spending enough
>> time on question #2.
>>
>> Both Nico and Fernando touched on two very important aspects of what
>> we are talking about. Nico's comment about attacking the problem from
>> "both" ends (top down and bottom up)  seems very appropriate. In
>> fact, the more we know about the back-end the better we know what
>> "tools" or functionality we have to develop for the front-end and how
>> best they can interact.
>>
>> Fernando's comment touches on the core of what concerns me the most,
>> and it is the realization of question #2
>> His comment: "/I also think that the major impediment to an
>> understanding that requires a paradigm switch is the early
>> idealization of a graphical user interface/." Or more appropriately
>> known as "the seduction of the GUI." (Soon to be a Broadway play ;-) ).
>>
>> We absolutely have to create a tool that scientists can use. So this
>> means we have to create a tool that "engages" the way they think
>> about modeling problems. Note that I used the word "engage", meaning
>> the tool doesn't to be an exact reflection of their process for
>> creating a models and doing analysis, but if has to be close enough
>> to make them want to "step up to the plate" and "take a swing for the
>> fence" as it were.
>>
>> In many ways too, Fernando's comment touch on the the problem I have
>> always had with Kepler. The UI is completely intertwined with the
>> model definition and the analysis specification. It has nearly zero
>> flexibility in how one "views" the "process" of entering in the
>> model. (As a side note, the UI is one of the harder aspects of Kepler
>> to tailor)
>>
>> In a perfect world of time and budgets it would be nice to create a
>> tool that has standalone Modeling and Analysis Definition Language,
>> then a core standalone analysis/simulation engine, and lastly a set
>> of GUI tools that assist the scientists in creating the models and
>> monitoring the execution. Notice how the GUI came last? The GUI needs
>> to be born out of the underlying technology instead of defining it.

> [...]

********

Deana D. Pennington, PhD
Long-term Ecological Research Network Office

UNM Biology Department
MSC03  2020
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM  87131-0001