[seek-dev] Re: gwsdl for put

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Jul 26 08:53:01 PDT 2004

Hi Bing,

Thanks for the progress update.  A couple of issues that you might
consider in the next draft of the gwsdl put document...

1) We had intended to have multiple implementation levels. Some of our
services support put today (e.g., Metacat/SRB) while others aren't
oriented that way currently (eg DiGIR, Xanthoria).  We need to
accomodate both.  That is why we called the query service ' Query Level
I', intending to have separate, more advance 'Query Level II' and 'Query
Level III' services as well as the 'Write Service'.  Our previous
meeting notes from Seattle outline these different levels. I would
create a new service for the put interface that is distinct from the the
level I query interface so that providers can choose whether or not to
implement put.

2) Your parameters in0, in1, in2, in3 in the 'putRequest' and
'putResponse' message type are not named well enough to understand their
function.  You also should document the use of the parameters in the xsd
if possible.

3) Why don't you have an input parameter of xsd:base64binary that is
parallel to the getResponseElement from the get operation?  Seems like
they are inverse operations, and the signatures should match.  If
EcoGridObjDataType is intended to hold the data, how will it be encoded
as a series of ints?  Why can't you use the native xsd types that
support binary bytes?  Why not use base64binary?

4) The putResponse value on the put operation is an integer -- is this
intended to be a status code?  Why not use the Fault, as we do in the
other operations?  I thought we agreed in Edinburgh that using the fault
mechanism was preferred?

Thanks.  Nice job.  I'm looking forward to the revision.

Matt

Matt Jones                                     jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
University of California Santa Barbara