[seek-dev] Re: new screenshot

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Jul 14 12:31:57 PDT 2004

Hi Chad,

Thanks for the additional screenshots, Chad.  I'm not sure which one
works best. I do think the Actor/Data separation in tabs is good from a
usability perspective even if it isn't strictly necessary from a
classification perspective.  Particularly telling is that, even in your
example, you would use different concepts to organize data than you do
actors, so the disctinction occurs very high up in our concept space.  I
think most scientists will make a strong distinction here (see below).

Also, I agree we should eliminate the slider altogether - it will
probably be confusing.

The question of whether to use a) one tree with instances in the tree,
or b) two panels where the first tree filters individuals in the lower
list, is the hard one.  In (a) we can't really combine categories
easily, so you are stuck with looking at the actors in a single
category, which can be limiting and means you might have to expand lots
of folders to find what you are looking for.  But the UI is very
understandable. In (b), you have a tree used as a control in a way that
is not typically done, so we need to be sure the increased query
functionality (e.g., abillity to select multiple properties at once)
justifies the hit on intuitiveness.  Also, (b) will likely suffer from
screen real-estate problems.  The single panel onthe left already seems
too small because we frequently want to see 15+ rows of actors or even
more for data.  Making 2 panels just makes it worse.

Ultimately I think we should be presenting these design choices to
users.  For starters getting Deana and Samantha and other SEEK
participants to comment on the 3 screen shots would be useful.  Towards
this end, I showed your screen shots to Ginny Eckert, a quantitative
ecologist (and my wife), and here's her perspective:  1) definitely
separate data and actors in two tabs -- ecologists just think this way.
2) for the browse view, only use one pane for the tree, as the two
panels are just too confusing.  Its not clear at all how it works. Move
any advanced querying (e.g., find all numerical simulations that are
also static) into a separate advanced query dialog. 3) Eliminate the
slider -- she thought it might be useful, but probably too non-conventional.

Some other stuff she comented on too: 4) The main workflow display MUST
have scroll bars, and the panning control should/could be moved to a
dialog/floating panel so that the tree has more real estate. 5) Ginny is
very used to using menu driven systems for selecting the statistics to
be used ona set of data. Her process for this type of app is 'Open the
data, select stats from hierarchical menus, configure stat, run'.  See,
for example, SAS Analyst.  So, she says that having the 'models' in the
tree on the left is really non-intutitive altogether, and those
hierarchies really should be menu items.  I'm not sure if we can
accomodate that view, but she felt pretty strongly about it.

So, in conclusion, I would probably vote for something akin to your
'actor-ontology-search-without-list-with-tab.jpg', but also remove the
slider from the bottom, and add an advanced query dialog that parallels
the data query dialog and allows easily creating advanced logical queries.

Cheers,
Matt

Matt Jones                                     jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
University of California Santa Barbara