[seek-dev] RE: pgm_cut program

Ferdinando Villa ferdinando.villa at uvm.edu
Tue Jul 13 11:55:30 PDT 2004

Also note that there is a GDAL layer for R, so its integration may come
almost for free once an R interface is operational.

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 13:57, Matt Jones wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Also, Chad has implemented several important GIS functions by wrapping
> GRASS libraries behind web services rather than using GDAL directly.
> These services can be called by Kepler and other clients.  The idea is
> that a workflow could be constructed that would first query to locate
> data, then do the various clipping and reprojections needed directly at
> the source, then transfer the clipped data to whatever analytical
> service needs it in the workflow.  This use of what we've been calling
> 'third party data transfer' and sometimes 'passing data by reference' is
> going to be an important component of data handling. Ultimately, by
> exposing the actual data query and manipulation plan to the workflow
> engine, we will be able to design a scheduler and optimizer that can
> figure out what the most efficient way to execute the workflow is (where
> to do what).  The workflow engine becomes a controller for a variety of
> distributed data access, data manipulation, and analysis tasks.
>
> So, I think we should be careful to plan out an end-to-end strategy for
> all data manipulation, rather than doing it piece by piece.  Dave's
> suggestion to use GDAL I think is the right approach in that it is more
> generic and more broadly useful than just adding on a specific SRB
> extension.  Dave -- could Chad's web-service wrappers around GRASS serve
> in the same function?
>
> Matt
>
> David Stockwell wrote:
> > Hi,
> > pgm_cut.c is a client program that just implements the srb library
> > fread and fseek routines. I thought about implementing more
> > functions on the server side but that is a much bigger project.
> >
> > There is an argument of just having a cut function on the
> > server side, as a cut (or crop) must reduce the data to be
> > transferred. Some other operations like rescaling may
> > increse the size of the data to be transferred, and besides
> > may put a lot of load on the server.
> >
> > GDAL seems useful, but it may make sense to modify
> > it so it could be used on the client side to make simple
> > SRB (or ecogrid) calls. I have been hoping for something
> > like this on the server side but  I am not in a position to
> > modify the SRB.
> >
> > Cheers
> >

> > Dave Vieglais wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Bing and Dave,
> >> I was wondering if you had considered using tools more appropriate for
> >> handling geospatial data?  The pgm libraries handle image data ok, but
> >> spatial raster data sets have a number of nuances that require
> >> additional processing on top of merely extracting pixel values.  One
> >> library in particular that is applicable to a wide variety of raster
> >> data formats is GDAL (geospatial data abstraction library).
> >> Integrating this with the SRB and as an EcoGrid service would provide
> >> access to a huge variety and volume of spatial data available from
> [...]
Ferdinando Villa, Ph.D., Associate Research Professor, Ecoinformatics
Gund Institute for Ecological Economics and Dept of Botany, Univ. of Vermont
http://ecoinformatics.uvm.edu