[seek-dev] RE: pgm_cut program

Dave Vieglais vieglais at KU.EDU
Tue Jul 13 11:16:28 PDT 2004

> So, I think we should be careful to plan out an end-to-end strategy for
> all data manipulation, rather than doing it piece by piece.  Dave's
> suggestion to use GDAL I think is the right approach in that it is more
> generic and more broadly useful than just adding on a specific SRB
> extension.  Dave -- could Chad's web-service wrappers around GRASS serve
> in the same function?
>
> Matt

I'm guessing that the GRASS wrappers should work fine.  In fact, GDAL
provides a subset of the data access capabilities of GRASS, so it is
conceivable that wrapping GRASS will provide an even more generic
solution.  It is another layer of indirection though, and does require
installing GRASS at the data source- a significantly heavier solution
than installing GDAL.

cheers,
   Dave V.