[seek-dev] RE: garp tools

Pereira, Ricardo Scachetti rpereira at ku.edu
Fri Jan 23 08:46:30 PST 2004

	Chad,

	Here it is the expansion of "Layer Integration" step that is
SPECIFIC to GARP nowadays.
	I'm assuming you are looking at the file
/seek/projects/beam/niche-modeling/garp/GarpPipelineNative.jpg on CVS.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
	In your current implementation of GARP pipeline in Kepler, you
have already implemented the analytical steps (2), (3) and (4). Now you
will implement A.S. #(1): "Env Layer cliping and resampling".
	Here is the procedure, broke down to smaller analytical steps.
Let me know if you need something else.

	1a) Layer clipping and resampling

		In this processing step, a set of environmental layers
is clipped and resampled so they all have the same extent and cell size.
		It is assumed that all layers are stored in the same
coordinate system.
		Currently, this step is executed inside ArcView 3.x
using an AVENUE script.
		Can be implemented in other GIS, but that will require
development of other custom scripts that comply to GIS available API.

	Inputs:
		- LAYERS: set of environmental layers (files) that will
be used in the modeling (in a format that your GIS API can read);
		- EXT: extent of the area of interest. Defined as 2 pair
of coordinates, i.e., a (x, y) pair for upper-left corner and another
for the bottom-right corner of the area of interest;
		- CS: cell size to be used in the analysis

	Outputs:
		- set of layers in ESRI ASCII Raster Grid format, all
with the same extent (EXT) and cell size (CS). Note: EXT and CS need to
be exactly the same for all layers, to the last decimal digit!!

	Note: This step can probably be broken down to smaller pieces,
but that will depend on the GIS API you are using.

	1b) Scaling of environmental layer values and packaging of GARP
dataset

		In this step, each ASCII raster grid obtained in step 1a
is converted to native GARP dataset format. Each layer has its cell
values scaled to fit a byte. This is a requirement for the original GARP
algorithm as designed by David Stockwell.
		Each layer has its maximum (max) and minimum (min) cell
value extracted. The following expression is then applied to each of the
layer cells:

			scale_coeficient = (max - min) / 253;
			new_scaled_value = (int)( ( (original_value -
min) / scale_coeficient) + 1);

		The reverse operation is (just FYI):

			new_original_value = ( ( (double)
new_scaled_value - 1) * scale_coeficient ) + min

		After scaling occurs, the cell values assume values
between 1 and 254 (0 and 255 are reserved values)
		This step is currently implemented in a separate Visual
Basic application. Below there is the source code (in VB!!) that does
the processing. I can translate it to C++ when you have the actor and
the right method signitures (JNI) in place.

	Input:
		- set of ASCII Raster grids from step 1a

	Outputs:
		- a directory containing: i) the environmental layer
scaled values (scaled to fit a byte), one .raw file per layer;
		- a GARP dataset file (.dxl) containing the description
(original values, extent, etc) of each layer in the dataset.

Visual Basic Code (extract from VB Application source code)

Dim m_oDS As GARPLib.CoEnvLayerSet  ' VB version of EnvLayerSet cpp
object
Dim m_oLyr As GARPLib.CoEnvLayer    ' VB version of EnvLayer cpp object
Dim strFile as String               ' ASCII Raster file name (without
extention .asc)

    Set m_oLyr = CreateObject("Garp.EnvLayer")
    m_oLyr.strId = strFile
    m_oLyr.strTitle = strFile
    m_oLyr.strFilename = ""
    m_oLyr.strMatrixFilename = strFile & ".raw"
    Call m_oLyr.useRawByteMatrixInDisk
    Call m_oLyr.fromAsciiGrid(strFile * ".asc")

    If (LCase(strFile) <> "mask") Then
        Call m_oDS.Add(m_oLyr)
    Else
        Call m_oDS.addAsMask(m_oLyr)
    End If

    ' check for error: It will raise an error if extents or cell size
    ' of this layer is different from the other layers
    If m_oDS.intLastErrorCode <> 0 Then
        Call Err.Raise(1, "Ascii Raster Grid Batch Load", _
                "Could not add layer to the dataset """ & oFile.Name & _
                """ (Garp message: " & m_oDS.strLastErrorMessage & ")")
    End If