[seek-dev] file transfer experiment

Bing Zhu bzhu at sdsc.edu
Wed Feb 4 17:17:10 PST 2004

Hi Matt, Jing and Rod,

As I mentioned in last call, I am experimenting on building a file streaming
service via OGSA.
Attached is a client package for your comments.  I also put a Readme file
which includes
some examples.

This is an initial approach to prove that we can build some file transfer
service.
My tests have not been done for large files. Currently there is no access
control for this exposed
file transfer service. Since the tomcat is running using my account, it is
currently guarded
by Linux to access my files only.

The frame size for number of bytes to be transferred in a read loop in this
approach is specified
by a client. I also put some info regarding changing this size and
re-building client in Readme file.

I even used the packaged jar files in my laptop running Windows XP and the
files were
downloaded successfully from Linux to my laptop. So I guess the approach at
least can be used by
individual user to download file(s) from our ecogrid data resources. For
distributed jobs such
as workflow, I still suggest using grid-ftp directly since Java code is
always slower than the
binary built with C.

Sincerely,
Bing