[seek-dev] Re: [kepler-dev] seek/kepler conference call notes

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Aug 25 11:31:42 PDT 2004

Well, two more issues I can see cropping up.

1) We need to make semantic annotations for individual actors, as well
as models.  As far as I know there is not a MoML provided for individual
actors independently of a model?  How do we annotate, for example, the
GarpAlgorithm actor outside of a MoML model so that we can use these
annotations in the discovery service?  Should we be providing a
standalone MoML for every actor that contains only the actor and its
port descriptions, and then attach the 'configure' annotations to that?

2) Some of our actors have a set of ports that are defined and loaded at
design time rather than compile time, and are determined by an external
source.  For example, the EMLDataSource actor gets its port definitions
by reading the metadata about a data source, and the WebService actor
gets its port definitions by reading the WSDL document for the service.
I had thought that having external annotations would be good because
they could be associated with the WSDL or EML rather than the actor
itself.  We'll need a way to annotate these dynamically created ports as
well as those that are statically defined within an actor.  I envision
this to be common.  Another example is instantiating a hypothetical R
actor with the ports needed for data flow into and out of a specific R
script, rather than using the CommandLine as we currently do (which
bypasses all of our typing mechanisms).

Matt

Matt Jones                                     jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
University of California Santa Barbara