[seek-dev] Re: update

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Aug 19 09:29:36 PDT 2004

Hi Dave and Susan,

I agree that 'data registration' is an important issue that we have not
managed to fully address yet.  For ecological data, we currently
'register' data by providing an EML description of the data, which
includes a statement about the taxonomic species covererd by the data.
That field is optional, and few people have filled it out yet.  The
major exception is the 181 data sets in EcoGrid from the GCE LTER site,
each of which has extensive taxonomic information in the EML.  We're
hoping that more sites become comprehensive with their metadata. But in
the absence of that, or in addition to it, Dave's approach using
taxonomic guesswork will be extremely valuable.  But we also need them
to be more comprehensive with other metadata too (other than taxon
metadata), such as spatial and temporal coverage, and entity and
attribute descriptions.  The spatial and temporal metadata may be
amenable to a similar guessing approach to the one Dave is taking for
taxa, but other parts of the metadata will not be (i.e., attribute
descriptions).  For that we need the scientists to provide the metadata.

A further level of metadata annotation about a data set would be
'semantic registration' of the data.  This includes associating the data
and components of the data such as attributes with semantically precise
terms from our budding measurement ontology.  Shawn and Bertram and the
rest of the SMS/KR group are working out how to create and reason over
these semantic registrations.  Their system would benefit from an index
just as you propose for the taxon concept annotations.  I actually view
these things as closely related, almost identical in terms of their
needs for an indexing and aggregation service.  So EcoGrid seems like
the appropriate place to handle it.  One hard part will be figuring out
how to deal with a very distributed set of data but wanting aggregated,
central indices that stay up-to-date with the distributed data as it
changes.

I think we need to talk about this further.  Thanks for kicking off the
discussion.  I'm cc'ing seek-dev so that other relevant people can
participate in the conversation.

Matt

Matt Jones                                     jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
University of California Santa Barbara