[seek-dev] Re: [kepler-dev] Query Builder Code Review

Bertram Ludaescher ludaesch at sdsc.edu
Mon Aug 16 07:20:01 PDT 2004

FV> On Sat, 2004-08-14 at 19:17, Bertram Ludaescher wrote:
>> Yes, they are different, but there is value to both and the difference
>> is not as large as you may think. In some (life science) domains,
>> publishing a paper is almost tantamount to uploading a dataset (having
>> the experimental data, information about the protocol etc). The paper
>> really just means to cut down a bunch of trees to produce paper that
>> holds the long list of authors (all the students, postdocs, and last
>> not least the lab director/PI ;-), plus of course the reputation of
>> the journal -- which ultimately comes from the community itself.
FV>
FV> I'm assuming you're not referring to ecology here (the focal domain of
FV> what we're doing) where this description would not earn you a lot

no, I wasn't talking about ecology here, but rather other biology
domains, where experiments become "data experiments".

BTW: I didn't mean to diminish their results either -- quite to the
contrary! The beauty of those "e-publications" with "attached data" is
that they are more easily reproduciable/inspectable/usable etc.

So getting rid of the paper versions for those special journals would
be a good thing. The scientific accomplishment is the result found,
not whether it is put on paper or not.. (sorry, I guess I'm jumping
ahead here in time ;-)

FV> of friends, being in most cases highly inappropriate and not reflective of
FV> the sophistication of analysis and high generalization that ecology has
FV> historically been striving for.
FV>
FV> This said, maybe SEEK-related efforts should be more active in shaping
FV> the incentive structure for data sharing and promoting peer review of
FV> data so that they can count as publications. We're trying to do what we

exactly. btw: I'm not sure SEEK would be the right vehicle, but it
could certainly provide good examples of "quality data/results"