[seek-dev] Re: WSDL

Dave Vieglais vieglais at ku.edu
Mon Sep 8 07:28:48 PDT 2003

Jing Tao wrote:

> Hi, Dave:
>
> I just took look at the queryInterface4.wsdl and it is great.
>
> But I still get couple questions for you:
> 1) There is nothing in message getResponse. May we just call document and
> type is xs:string (May this way just match Metacat:) )?

You have probably noticed that getResponse is being accessed by a
binding through HTTP GET rather than SOAP.  The intent of the "Get"
operation was to provide essentially a "direct connection" to a HTTP
accessible resource fully described by a URL.  The response is simply
whatever is returned by connecting to the URL.

So yes, this method is meant to be close to exactly the same as the same
method in Metacat.

> 2) You call "SOAPport" rather than "QUERYPort" in PortTypes and do you
> have some particular reseaon?

There's two port types defiend, one uses the SOAP protocol, the other is
for operations that use plain HTTP GET.  I named the ports based on the
protocol, not the method - it's just coincidental that the "Get"
operation uses the same name as the GET protocol.  Perhaps "GETport"
should be renamed "HTTPGETport" to remove any confusion.

cheers,
   Dave V.