[seek-dev] ecogrid query schema

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri Sep 5 14:27:17 PDT 2003

Bing, Jing, Dave, and Raja,

I updated the EcoGrid Query schema as we discussed today on the phone.
Could you look over the list of operators that are now in the
enumeration?  This is the list we had in Seattle I think.

The only thing that is missing now from the query.xsd is the
specification of the result set type.  Dave -- I'm not sure how this
will work.  Lets say we query against eml 2.0.0, and 2.0.1.  We want the
resultset record to contain /eml/dataset/title from both namespaces
(2.0.0, and 2.0.1).  How do we write an EML-brief that does that?  EML
is set up very differently from Darwin Core, in that we have not used
globally scoped elements in EML like you do in Darwin Core. Almost all
of the elements in EML are locally defined within a ComplexType
definition. Also, DArwinCore is a pretty flat structure, while EML has
many levels of hierarchy -- this means that defining an EML-brief can
mean redefingin top-level structures, which we can;t and shouldn't
really do.  I think this seriously changes the equation on how we could
specify an EML-Brief for use in result sets.  I'd like to chat about
this again to see how to proceed with it.

Matt Jones                                     jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
University of California Santa Barbara