[seek-dev] ecogrid registry

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Jun 18 11:19:44 PDT 2003

One of my tasks is to work on getting the EcoGrid registry up and
running (bug 1040).  I have been evaluating the use of the Grid
technologies, and in particular Globus Toolkit 3.0, for this service
(bug 1061).   I have managed, with considerable difficulty, to install
the gt3beta release of Globus Toolkit on ecogrid.ecoinformatics.org, and
I have set up a certificate authority there for generating GSI
certificates.  The GT3 release has a built in metadata management
facility (Information Services), as well as a Registry implementation.
This seems to work as advertised, although I do not yet understand the
toolkit well-enough to fully evaluate it.  It is a rich, complicated
system and it'll take a while to fully understand it.

One thing that would be useful would be to test the registry by trying
to register some services that we might be putting up for EcoGrid.  The
two that come to mind are 1) the Query Service, and 2) the Taxonomic
Name Resolution Service.  To do this, these services will need to
implement a couple of Grid specific methods.  I would like to explore
adding these into our interface definitions.  Dave -- do you think this
would be a problem in any way for the Query Service or the Name
Resolution service?  The methods needed are described in the Globus
documentation [1]. Or alternatively we could extend their implementaiton
classes which provides much of this functionality.  Once we have a WSDL
describing the service, we could then just register the WSDL.

If you'd like to experiment with this Grid, please let me know and I can
generate a GSI certificate for you and let you know the connection
details for the GT3beta install.

Matt

[1] Java Programmer's Guide Core Framework
http://www-unix.globus.org/toolkit/3.0beta/ogsa/docs/java_programmers_guide.html

Matt Jones                                     jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
University of California Santa Barbara