[seek-dev] Re: FW: Technical Issues

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Jun 4 11:49:59 PDT 2003

Jim, Susan, and Aimee,

We have a number of linux boxes running SEEK services at NCEAS, and we
could get another one for this need if you need it.  Most of our EcoGrid
work will be developed on Linux.   As Susan said, adding another machine
on to the maintenance list is no big deal.  That said, if you'd prefer
to develop and/or deploy the services there that would be fine as well,
although we'll need to talk about how the various components would
integrate.  Given our current thoughts in EcoGrid about tying things
together using Grid/Web Services, this probably won't represent a
problem (if it does then we've got deeper troubles :)

As far as source code management goes, it really would be best if all
source code is managed in the common SEEK CVS repository so that other
parts of the project can benefit from and integrate with these
components.  The current CVS repository has a directory
("seek/projects/taxon") specifically for taxon related code, and that
can be organized into subprojects as needed.  If anyone involved is
having trouble with CVS (ie, doesn't know password, can't connect,
etc.), please contact me ASAP.

We've also found it incredibly useful to provide some sort of
transparent build system for source code modules as well.  We mainly use
'ant' because it works well in the Java environment and the build
scripts are easy to read, but 'make' or others would work as well.  The
important part is that all of the subtle code dependencies be explicitly
laid out in a text file so that building and running other people's code
isn't a huge pain, especially as people move from one IDE to another.
It also allows us to develop automated regression testing and other
functions that we want for each code module.  We have some build files
in place in various places in the seek cvs module if you want to see how
it works.

I'll try to chat with Aimee and Richard Gales about this on IRC today
and see what would work best.  I had a nice intro conversation with
Richard yesterday, and introduced him to the other folks on IRC.

Matt

Matt Jones                                     jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
University of California Santa Barbara