[seek-dev] Bug in MySQL 4.1?

Jing Tao tao at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Jul 14 19:19:06 PDT 2003

Hi, everyone:

Today Robert and I found the root password for MySQL in dev didn't work
for some reseaons(it worked before). And any user can login as root
without typing password. MySQL wasn't secured. So we tried to update root
password
following the manual:

# /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld stop
# /usr/bin/safe_mysqld --skip-grant-tables
# mysql -u root
mysql> use mysql;
mysql> update user set Password = PASSWORD('pass') where User ='root';
mysql>\q
# /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld stop
# /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld start

However, it worked for version 3.23 and 4.013. But when we tried to
MySQL4.1 in dev, it never worked. When we tried to login the server with
new password, we always got a access deny erorr. So now the current mysql
in dev is secured, but we don't know the root password! (If we try to do
some job as root, we cant restart server as skip-grant-tables mode. And
when it is done, restart server as regular mode )

It seemed there is a bug in version 4.1 ( I will send an email to mysql
forks ). Do you think we need to reinstall the mysql in dev?

Thanks

Jing

--
Jing Tao