[seek-beam] GARP pipeline diagrams

Ricardo Scachetti Pereira ricardo at cria.org.br
Tue Apr 15 10:28:55 PDT 2003

    Hi, Deana,

    Your questions are pertinent. Let me try to clarify some points.
    On the climate change diagram, the model (rule set) is obtained only
once (but the notation does not make that clear). This very same rule
set is then projected into the current geography and the geography
changed by some climate change model. So the analysis is run only once.
The result is then projected onto 2 different set of environmental layers.
    That is because we assume that the basic environmental conditions
required for the species to maintain populations (which is expressed by
the rule set) does not change from one scenario (native distribution) to
the climate change scenario.
    Actually, looking at the climate change diagram again, it looks
ambiguous. The rule set flowing out of step 3 (rule set development)
into both projections (step 4) is the same rule set. There should be
just one arrow, that would be split in two arrows instead of two arrows.
I think that this is a limitation of Data Flow Diagrams. Sorry about that.
    So if you check CVS again, you will notice that I tried to removed
that ambiguity on notation. Arrows representing the same instance of
data flow are now linked together.

    Also, to summarize conceptually, the three kinds of environmental
layers we use in this method are:
    1) Native layers: environmental layers from the native range of the
species, from the same period in time when the species was collected. It
is the only dataset used to produce GARP models;
    2) Climate changed layers: climate layers on the native range of the
species changed following a climate change model (global circulation
models). They are usually a prediction of how temperature, rainfall,
etc, will be in the future if a climate change scenario takes place (or
in the past);
    3) Invaded range: same kind of environmental layers used for native
range predictions, but from another area (continent usually), where the
species is supposed to invade.

    Conceptually, a model (GARP rule set, obtained from a GARP run)
describes the the set of environmental conditions that allow the species
to survive. Once we have a rule set, we can project that rule set into a
set of layers modified due to climate changes, or we can project it into
a continent where the species has never been before, to have an idea
where in that landscape the species would be able to survive.
    To project, in this context, means to apply the rule set to a set of
environmental layers, i.e., to identify or highlight in the landscape,
what would be the cells or points that match the conditions for the
species to survive.

    In summary, that is about it. For more details on the procedure, I
suggest you to refer to the literature. There is a preliminary list on
DesktopGarp web site at:

    http://www.lifemapper.org/desktopgarp

    Follow the link to the user's manual, then to bibliography, or click
the direct link below:

    http://www.lifemapper.org/desktopgarp/Default.asp?Item=3&Lang=1#bib

    I hope this clarified things a bit.
    Cheers,

Ricardo

--
Ricardo Scachetti Pereira
Gerente de Pesquisa
Centro de Referência em Informação Ambiental - CRIA
http://www.cria.org.br/

--
Esta mensagem foi verificada pelo sistema de antivírus e
 acredita-se estar livre de perigo.