[obs] Joining DwC, OBOE, PO and PATO

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at nescent.org
Thu Oct 28 13:51:39 PDT 2010

On Oct 27, 2010, at 1:24 AM, Cam Webb wrote:

> this calls for the need for a more semantically formal set of DwC
> terms, a fork to create a `Darwin SW' to stand alongside Darwin Core.

I think so, too. I think DwC as a controlled vocabulary for exchanging
specimen and occurrence data in a more standard way has strings
pulling at it in different directions than we care about for obtaining
more formal semantics. That doesn't mean they can't be married at some
point, but an effort that is free from the legacy usage requirements
can probably make faster progress on the hairy process of nailing down
the consensus semantics of the major concepts in this area.

I don't think the TDWG LSID vocs are a good start though - they strike
me as a hodgepodge of properties that are largely free of explicit
semantics.

> The formal acceptance of such a new standard would take a long
> time.  What do you suggest doing in the meantime?

I don't think that a process of formal acceptance of a new standard
needs to or should hold up using it. In fact, if we want to consider
the induction of an ontology into the OBO Foundry as a "formal
acceptance" in that particular community, documented usage by at least
2 independent (from the ontology authors) groups is a requirement for
such acceptance.

So I don't see any hindrances to moving ahead.

> I don't see how to demarcate the level of hierarchy in PATO where a
> pato:Quality shifts from just a oboe:Characteristic to a combination
> of oboe:Characteristic and oboe:Value.

We have this exact problem in Phenoscape when we want to infer
characters (for a matrix view) from a collection of EQ statements. To
address this, we have introduced 'attribute' and 'value' subset
annotations ("slims") to PATO. Based on that, we have an algorithm
that returns the attribute for a PATO term Q as the first term in the
lineage from Q to the root that is in the 'attribute' slim. (This may
be Q itself.)

However, as Chris points out, it might also be fair to view all of
PATO as attributes (characteristics).

> I meant that the phenoscape terms (e.g. hasPhenotype) are not
> available yet in RDF, AFAIK.

True. I'm copying Jim here - Jim, are we publishing the Phenoscape
predicates in RDF somewhere, and if not, what is keeping us from doing
so?

	-hilmar