[obs] OBOE master file

Shawn Bowers bowers at gonzaga.edu
Wed Oct 27 09:23:06 PDT 2010

Hi --

> thanks for the information. Are the latest oboe files under version control
> somewhere?

Yep, they are under version control.

> I have a real concern here that people who are interested in exploring this
> for their own use are frustrated unnecessarily by being led down wrong paths
> simply due to lack of documentation and by abandoned versions having been
> kept alive.

Yeah, I understand. Having a webpage that links to the "official"
versions is probably the way to go ...

> "when it is finished" sounds like rather open-ended to me -
> based on my experience in ontology development, an ontology that is in
> active use in science is never finished.

I think you misunderstood what I said. I was saying when the
*documentation* is finished, not the ontologies per se. We started
writing up an "oboe guide" but it was shelved for some time because of
various reasons. Once the guide is finished, the plan is to put this
on the web.

> Are there are hurdles to disabling the outdated links (cvs remove, svn
> remove anyone?), or to putting up a one-page documentation on the Semtools
> or SONet site, using pretty much what you say below?

I think the best thing to do for now is as you say ... put up a
one-page document on the site that links to these ...

Thanks,
Shawn