[kepler-users] BSD license and GPL : Kepler Question

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Oct 3 07:02:40 PDT 2008

Hi Ted,
Yes, you may use Ptolemy and Diva, which use the "new" BSD license in
a GPL project.

The Ptolemy copyright is:
--start--
Copyright (c) 1995-2008 The Regents of the University of California.
All rights reserved.

Permission is hereby granted, without written agreement and without
license or royalty fees, to use, copy, modify, and distribute this
software and its documentation for any purpose, provided that the above
copyright notice and the following two paragraphs appear in all copies
of this software.

IN NO EVENT SHALL THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA BE LIABLE TO ANY PARTY
FOR DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE AND ITS DOCUMENTATION, EVEN IF
THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
SUCH DAMAGE.

THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTIES,
INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE SOFTWARE
PROVIDED HEREUNDER IS ON AN "AS IS" BASIS, AND THE UNIVERSITY OF
CALIFORNIA HAS NO OBLIGATION TO PROVIDE MAINTENANCE, SUPPORT, UPDATES,
ENHANCEMENTS, OR MODIFICATIONS.

--end--

There is a somewhat coherent discussion about including BSD code in
GPL'd code at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD_and_GPL_licencing#The_Permissive_versus_Copyleft_controversy
However WINAL (Wikipedia Is Not A Lawyer).

_Christopher