[kepler-users] Save/Load XML file

Chad Berkley berkley at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Nov 11 14:07:29 PST 2008

Hi Guillaume,

Could you turn on debug mode so you can see the source of the NPE?  If
you are using ant to compile kepler, the debug mode should already be
turned on.  If you're using javac to compile your code separately, you
need to use the -g flag to turn on debugging.  This will give you the
line number where the NPE is thrown and make it easier to figure out
what is going on (so you don't get "Unknown Source" in the stack trace).

My initial hunch is that a parameter or attribute is getting created the
first time, but not on the 2nd run for some reason.  This happens
sometimes in kepler when you try to create an attribute with the same
name as one that exists and don't check for it existing.  Technically
what should happen is that a NameDuplicationException should be thrown,
but I've seen the behavior you describe also.

chad