[kepler-users] More questions on configuration

tog guillaume.alleon at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 14:23:05 PST 2008

Hi Matt

Thanks for your quick answer.
I will try this new build system in a day or two.

Could in the meantime someone comment on how to be able to have a
custom Kepler with only my actor i.e. removing existing actors and how
to add a new actor and its third-party jars.

Thanks and Best Regards

Guillaume

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 2:17 AM, Matt Jones <jones at nceas.ucsb.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 8:43 AM, tog <guillaume.alleon at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Sorry for asking again some more questions :)
>>
>> I have an actor that is using plenty of third-party jars (a lot of
>> them may collide some existing ones). For example my actor is using
>> jaxb with a different version than the one located in
>> /Applications/Kepler-1.0.0/Kepler.app/Kepler/lib/jar/
>>
>> I am therefore wondering if there is a way to isolate the loading of
>> dependencies on a per actor basis ?
>
> We're working on such a mechanism now.  We've recognized this conflicting
> jar problem for a while, and now we are working on a new, modular system in
> which actors or packages of actors are created in independent modules and
> can specify their own jar dependencies, even if they have conflicting
> version requirements for a particular jar file.  This is being accomplished
> through the use of independent ClassLoaders for each of the modules.
> Unfortunately, we are not done with this work yet and so it is not yet in
> the default build for kepler.
>
> However, if you want to experiment with our new build system, you could try
> the alternate build which handles these module dependency conflicts.  It is
> a work in progress and is likely to still change substantially -- we're
> actively working on it -- so be prepared for problems if you try this
> system.  Nevertheless, you might find it useful.  To see the alternate build
> instructions, visit this page:
> https://dev.kepler-project.org/developers/teams/build/documentation/the-new-build-system
> Feedback on how that system works for you would be appreciated.
>

>> I have then noticed this file .classpath.default. My understanding is
>> that this file is containing all the (existing) jars required for the
>> existing actors.
>> Does that mean that removing all  these files + the actors definition
>> located in /Applications/Kepler-1.0.0/Kepler.app/Kepler/kar/actors/
>> will lead to  a kind of "empty" Kepler ?
>>
>> Therefore adding an actor is just:
>>  - creating a kar file putting in
>> /Applications/Kepler-1.0.0/Kepler.app/Kepler/kar/actors/
>>  - adding the adequate dependencies in
>> /Applications/Kepler-1.0.0/Kepler.app/Kepler/lib/jar
>>  - modifying accordingly the .classpath.default file
>>
>> Am I right ?
>
> No, the .classpath.default file is only used for the eclipse build.
> Modifying it will not really affect how the ant build works.
>

>> There is then still this issue of being able to use different jars of
>> the same tools for different actors ?
>
> Right -- having the build and runtime system support actors that require
> conflicting jar files is a major requirement of the new build and runtime
> system.  We'll get it worked out as soon as possible.
>
> Matt
>
> --
> Matthew B. Jones
> Director of Informatics Research and Development
> [...]

PGP KeyID:C1A0A73F  FingerPrint:A4A2 73C0 E7D4 6437 8185  D05E ECF2
AD84 C1A0 A73F
http://cheztog.blogspot.com