[kepler-users] myExperiment.org

Matthew Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Mar 13 09:12:39 PDT 2008

Hi Paul,

We're very aware of myExperiment, but thanks for the pointer.  They've
done excellent work on the social networking aspect of sharing
workflows, and their site reflects their emphasis there.  The Kepler
Component Repository (http://library.kepler-project.org) is intended to
serve the same purpose, but is mainly meant to be used from within
Kepler at this point (via the "Upload to Repository..." menu).
Components are saved along with their semantic types and their
documentation in the workflow definition. Once components are uploaded
to the Kepler repository, they can be searched and found along with all
of the other components that ship with Kepler by checking "Search
repository" in the components tab, and can just be dragged onto the
canvas for use just like a local component.  This makes it very
convenient to use while designing workflows.

We haven't concentrated much on the web interface for the Kepler
Component Repository.  It needs a lot of UI magic before it could match
what has been done for myExperiment.

We've considered trying to get Kepler to also use myExperiment, but that
would require some changes to myExperiment to allow it to accept Kepler
workflows via KAR files, which play the same role as myExperiment's
archive file format.  We'd also have to agree upon a communication API
-- Kepler uses the EarthGrid web services API, which is also used for
our data service interfaces.  I'm not sure whether myExperiment uses
their own API or a more commonly adopted one.

We have applied for the Google Summer of Code, and one of our proposed
projects is to develop a Kepler-> myExperiment bridge -- we'll see if a
student is interested in that project.
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/gsoc/ideas/

Matt

Paul Allen wrote:
> I ran across an interesting site the other day. It is
> http://www.myexperiment.org/. It acts as a place to share and discuss
> Taverna workflows. I've had an email exchange with one of the site
> authors and they say they are contemplating how/whether to also support
> Kepler workflows (as well as other systems).
>
> Thought you all may be interested.
>
> - Paul

Matthew B. Jones
Director of Informatics Research and Development
UC Santa Barbara
jones at nceas.ucsb.edu                       Ph: 1-907-523-1960
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/ecoinfo