[kepler-users] System Dynamics Actor?

Matthew Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Jan 31 22:59:46 PST 2008

I think ecologists would use that sort of thing a lot.  They like stella
for its simplicity as a model prototyping tool, even when they end up
implementing the models for their final runs in a different system.
I've even seen Stella used as a front end in the Spatial Modeling
Environment (SME) for building stock-flow models that are then run
through a code-generator to produce executables that are run on high-end
parallel supercomputers (see [1]).  We don't have the resources right
now to tackle this project, but I think it would indeed be valuable.

Matt

[1] http://www.uvm.edu/giee/SME3/

Edward A. Lee wrote:
> It does sound like it would be an interesting project to build
> some Stocks and Flows actors, a-la Stella... The underlying ODE
> solver of the CT or Continuous domains would be leveraged...
>
> Anyone interested in doing that?
>
> Edward
>
> At 02:06 PM 1/31/2008, Timothy McPhillips wrote:
>> Hi Louis,
>>
>> As Edward mentioned, the continuous time domain can be used to model
>> dynamic systems of the sort I think you are talking about.  However,
>> these models aren't quite as easy to build or understand as STELLA
>> models, say.  A few years ago I spent a few days trying to emulate
>> STELLA's capabilities (i.e, modeling dynamic systems in terms of
>> stocks and flows) in Kepler, but the results weren't as clean as
>> STELLA models for a number of reasons, most especially because the
>> stocks and flows were not distinct actors.  I, too, would like to see
>> such support in Kepler, along with capabilities for easily running
>> these models multiple times in a parameter sweep or search,
>> summarizing the results of multiple runs of the model, etc.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> On Jan 31, 2008, at 11:50 AM, Louis Macovsky wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is there any work being done to add a system dynamics Actor?
>>>
>>> I have raised this question about 1.5 yrs ago but I am still hoping
>>> to hear
>>> that it is someone's project using for example BerkeleyMadonna
>>> http://www.berkeleymadonna.com/ and maybe the more suitable
>>> JMadonna which
>>> is in development.  I point out JMadonna because I "assume" that its
>>> development would be accessible to Ptolemy and Keppler developers.
>>>
>>> There is an open source SD application that is a relatively new
>>> addition to
>>> NetLogo.  Could it be a candidate around which an Actor could be
>>> developed?
>>>
>>> In addition to BerkeleyMadonna, I use STELLA http:// www.iseesystems.com/ and
>>> Vensim http://www.vensim.com/ .  I have not used Simile
>>> http://simulistics.com/ but for a commercial SD package it may be a
>>> candidate to work around.  There are other SD programs but I have
>>> not used
>>> them.
>>>
>>> I am not a programmer, so I do not have the answers and perhaps I
>>> am not
>>> even posing the right question(s).
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Louis

Matthew B. Jones
Director of Informatics Research and Development
UC Santa Barbara
jones at nceas.ucsb.edu                       Ph: 1-907-523-1960
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/ecoinfo