[kepler-users] Actor packaging

Matthew Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Oct 29 13:50:17 PDT 2007

And Kenneth -- for your Ant build, did you set the environment variables
'KEPLER' and 'PTII' as listed in the build instructions before running
the ant build?  I think that having not set the PTII environment
variable is what is causing your errors that contain "${env.PTII}" in
the error message. It should not matter how you check out Kepler and
Ptolemy as long as the environment variables point to their correct
locations before running the Kepler ANT build.

Matt

Dan Higgins wrote:
> Yes, mixing Beta3 and the head of CVS is problematic due to changes in
> the format of files in .kepler. (Basically you need to remove .kepler
> whenever you change versions.)
>
> It looks to me like the problems you are having with the CVS version are
> Eclipse setup problems. A pure ant build works fine. (I just tried it.)
>
> Dan
>
> ---
>
> Kenneth Evans wrote:
>> Dan,
>>
>> Thanks for the response.
>>
>> So now I know Python is disabled.  I will stop trying to use it in Kepler.
>> It seems to work fine in Vergil.  It _is_ a useful thing, so finding a way
>> to get it back in Kepler would be good.
>>
>> In regard to the version:  I downloaded beta 3 and am using it.  I also
>> checked Kepler and Ptolemy out of CVS.  The Ptolemy build works and I can
>> run Vergil from it (from Eclipse even).  The Kepler build is not working, so
>> I can’t use it.  There is a thread on this.  I am not the only person that
>> is having problems with the build.  When that gets fixed, I will use it
>> rather than beta3.  I already have too much stuff, and would rather not get
>> a TAR file, too.  I'll wait for CVS to get fixed up.
>>
>> Am I correct in reading that I had better not use _both_ beta3 and the CVS
>> version owing to the .kepler problem?
>>
>> I had seen the article about including JAR files.  Are you also going to
>> allow .class files?  I did try to make a KAR file as described previously,
>> but it isn't working.
>>
>> Actually I can get actors into Kepler by putting them in the classpath,
>> using "Instantiate Component", and adding them to the library.  This seems
>> to be an easier way to develop actors than rebuilding Kepler every time you
>> make a change.  Or by making KAR files and importing them.
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>
>>         -Ken

Matthew B. Jones
Director of Informatics Research and Development
UC Santa Barbara
jones at nceas.ucsb.edu                       Ph: 1-907-523-1960
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/ecoinfo