[kepler-users] Actor packaging

Kenneth Evans evans at aps.anl.gov
Mon Oct 29 12:56:54 PDT 2007

Dan,

Thanks for the response.

So now I know Python is disabled.  I will stop trying to use it in Kepler.
It seems to work fine in Vergil.  It _is_ a useful thing, so finding a way
to get it back in Kepler would be good.

In regard to the version:  I downloaded beta 3 and am using it.  I also
checked Kepler and Ptolemy out of CVS.  The Ptolemy build works and I can
run Vergil from it (from Eclipse even).  The Kepler build is not working, so
I can’t use it.  There is a thread on this.  I am not the only person that
is having problems with the build.  When that gets fixed, I will use it
rather than beta3.  I already have too much stuff, and would rather not get
a TAR file, too.  I'll wait for CVS to get fixed up.

Am I correct in reading that I had better not use _both_ beta3 and the CVS
version owing to the .kepler problem?

I had seen the article about including JAR files.  Are you also going to
allow .class files?  I did try to make a KAR file as described previously,
but it isn't working.

Actually I can get actors into Kepler by putting them in the classpath,
using "Instantiate Component", and adding them to the library.  This seems
to be an easier way to develop actors than rebuilding Kepler every time you
make a change.  Or by making KAR files and importing them.

Thanks again,

        -Ken