[kepler-users] Actor packaging

Kenneth Evans evans at aps.anl.gov
Mon Oct 29 08:37:26 PDT 2007

Shawn,

Thanks for your comments in the "Kepler hosed with bad User Library" thread.

>> We realize the process is difficult and inconvenient right now.

No problem.  I'm sure it will evolve into what people want and need.

In the meantime, I'm still trying to understand how to package an actor as a
KAR file.  Since I can't build Kepler yet, I can't go that route.  I should
be able to make a KAR file independently, however, and import it into
Kepler.

I tried that with the HelloWorld tutorial.  When I try to import, I get:

Error with the cache: The LSID urn:kepler-project.org:kar:450:1 is already
in use: LSID urn:lsid:kepler-project.org.kar:450:1 already exists.

The HelloWorld.xml file that gives this result is:

  <?xml version="1.0" ?>
- <entity name="HelloWorld" class="ptolemy.kernel.ComponentEntity">
  <property name="entityId" value="urn:lsid:test:actor:1:1"
class="org.kepler.moml.NamedObjId" />
  <property name="documentation"
class="org.kepler.moml.DocumentationAttribute" />
- <property name="class" value="helloworld.HelloWorld"
class="ptolemy.kernel.util.StringAttribute">
  <property name="id" value="urn:lsid:test:class:1:1"
class="ptolemy.kernel.util.StringAttribute" />
  </property>
- <property name="output" class="org.kepler.moml.PortAttribute">
  <property name="direction" value="output"
class="ptolemy.kernel.util.StringAttribute" />
  <property name="dataType" value="string"
class="ptolemy.kernel.util.StringAttribute" />
  <property name="isMultiport" value="false"
class="ptolemy.kernel.util.StringAttribute" />
  </property>
  <property name="semanticType00"
value="urn:lsid:localhost:onto:2:1#Constant"
class="org.kepler.sms.SemanticType" />
  </entity

Maybe the thing to do is ask what should it contain.

(I got this from the tutorial except for my trial-and-error attempts to fix
the LSID.)

Note that I'm not using "urn:kepler-project.org:kar:450:1" as stated in the
error message.  BTW I Googled for LSID and understand the syntax.  I am not
sure what to use, however, for an LSID for my own stuff and how to do the
numbering in the next-to-last term.  (The last is the revision.)

Thanks again for your help.

        -Ken