[kepler-users] Vista Problems

Kenneth Evans, Jr. evans at aps.anl.gov
Tue Oct 23 20:34:12 PDT 2007

Dan,

First, I tried setting the JRE using your instructions.  It says it can't
find 1.6.0_03.  (Is that the problem with using 1.6?)

It runs but has the same File | Open problem with 1.5.0_09 (which seems to
be the same version that comes with Kepler).

I downloaded 1.5.0_13, and that worked.  I think the problem here is that
Java was fixed for Vista sometime after 1.5.0_09.  It was fixed for 1.6
first, but is now fixed for the current 1.5 as well.

BTW I have been using 1.6 for some time and haven't had any significant
problems.  The performance is apparently significantly better for 1.6
compared to 1.5.  In any event Kepler appears to be working for me, now with
1.5.0_13.

Second, if you haven't tested the installer with Vista, then it isn't
surprising it doesn't work so well.  Vista is more locked down for security
reasons.  For the record, in my case:

1. It hung near the end a couple of times.

2. Once it had failed once and had to be killed, it hung early until a
reboot.

3. I did get it to run to completion twice.  I'm not sure why it hung
sometimes and worked some times.

4. I was unable to get the uninstaller to work.  I continued to install on
top of the existing files.

5. At one time I copied the whole directory from my XP installation.  It
seemed to work but had the File | Open problem.  I reinstalled it, however,
before I tried 1.5.0_13.

This is a program that seems to operate pretty much like Eclipse; that is,
the executable is a launcher for the JVM, and it is really mostly Java.
Eclipse runs fine on Vista and of course it installs fine since the
installation is just to unzip it.  Tying to do it the Eclipse way might be
attractive (if you want advice from a newbie ;-).

In any event thanks for your help.  I am working on getting experience with
it.  Clearly a lot of work has gone into it.  Is it usually this long
between releases?

Thanks,

        -Ken

  _____