[kepler-users] WebService-Blast

Felipe Zapata felipe.zapata at umsl.edu
Sun Oct 29 22:46:16 PST 2006

Dear Kepler Users,

I am a new to the world of workflows and Kepler, so I apologize if my
questions are to basic for this list!
I am trying to use a web service actor to Blast a sequence in DDBJ.
However, for some reason, it is not working properly.  Using ddbj or
restricting to ddbjpln as the database to be used, the query takes
more than 15 minutes to run and at the end I get nothing (e.g. a
blank window in a display actor).  I do not know what I am doing
wrong.  I tried to blast the same accession (AJ403010) configuring
the web service actor with the BlastDemo.wsdl and it worked fine.
Then I tried to Blast the accession directly in DDBJ website,
(restricting to ddbjpln) and it worked fine as well.  I would
appreciate any suggestions.

Also, I need to parse this Blast result (I think this can be a tricky
step to automatize in Kepler, but I am not sure) . I would like to be
able to filter the output based on hits e-values (e.g. -10, -20, etc)
and to filter the output for redundancy (e.g not use the same taxon
twice). Then I want to retrieve the sequences for that filtered list
and put it in Fasta Format. I have not been able to find an easy way
to get around this problem in Kepler. Any help would be greatly
appreciated!

I am using Kepler 1.0 Beta2 for Mac (I have a PowerBook PPC)

Felipe
Felipe Zapata
UMSL-Biology
St. Louis, MO 63121 USA