[kepler-users] Python actors?

Dan Higgins higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Mar 16 08:56:15 PST 2006

Hi  Dion,
    Python and Matlab support is included in PtolemyII, and Kepler is
based on Ptolemy. However, prior to your question, we had seen little
interest in Python and Matlab actors in Kepler. It also turned out that
the Python system greatly slowed down the Kepler startup time. As a
result, we disabled Python support in Kepler and have never setup the
links to run Matlab. The base support is still in Kepler, however (since
it is based on Ptolemy). So it could be activated in Kepler with a bit
of work. It's basically a question of priorities for us (and a limited
number of developer hours).
    So if you are really interested, I invite you to take a look at
Ptolemy (http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/index.htm). And if
you are a developer (or have some developer support available), you
could join the Kepler effort and add Python/Matlab support to Kepler
yourself (and hopefully share the results).

Dan Higgins
Software Developer - NCEAS

Dan Higgins                                  higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/    Ph: 805-893-5127
National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS) Marine Science Building - Room 3405
Santa Barbara, CA 93195