[kepler-users] Question about R workflow in Mac OS X

Dan Higgins higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri Jun 16 10:58:32 PDT 2006

Hello Jorge,

    Sorry that you are having a problem with Kepler, (but thanks for
reporting the problem). I thought that having X11 open and setting the
DISPLAY problem avoided this problem for Mac PPC machines. It seems to
work on machines in use here, but obviously not for you. [Incidently,
interfacing with X11 is a known problem for the new Mac Intel machines,
although we are not sure why.] I'll have to dig into this to see if I
can find the problem. What version of R is installed on you Mac? [Kepler
launches R the same way as you would by entering 'R' on the command line.]

    The problem is related to the fact that R on the Mac uses some X11
code for the jpeg display device, and I picked that device for the
Kepler RExpression actor because we could display jpegs easily in Kepler
on Windows, Mac, and Linux. A better display device for the Mac would be
a PDF device (since that is handled natively), and I have been looking
at changing the default behavior in Kepler. [Note that RExpression
actors work on the Mac if you disable the 'Graphics Output' parameter
and just look at text output]

    Attached is an example Kepler workflow showing how to use a 'pdf'
command within an R script to override the default setup and display the
pdf file using an IJMacro actor. Note that this workflow will not
execute with the Kepler beta1 release until you replace the ij.jar in
the $KEPLER/lib/jar/ directory with an updated version of this ImageJ
jar (see http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij/download.html and get the 1.36 version).

Dan Higgins

Dan Higgins                                  higgins at nceas.ucsb.edu
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/    Ph: 805-893-5127
National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS) Marine Science Building - Room 3405
Santa Barbara, CA 93195