[kepler-dev] [Ptolemy] Re: Problem starting Vergil and Ptplot on the Mac under Eclipse

Christopher Brooks cxh at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 25 13:34:44 PDT 2008

Hi Hauke,
Ok, it looks like it is not possible to run Eclipse using Java 1.6
on the Mac, but it is possible to compile applications from within
Eclipse using Java 1.6 on the Mac.

However, if the application to be compiled is an Eclipse application,
then presumably, it won't run if it is compiled with Java 1.6 on
the Mac.

Also, there is the unusual problem that a project can't have the PDE
bundles in the classpath.

So, I don't think Eclipse under Mac OS X is ready for Java 1.6 at
this time.  It would be safer to stick with Java 1.5 on the Mac.
People that like to live dangerously can try using Java 1.6 on
the Mac and report back.

I've updated my docs at
http://chess.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptexternal/wiki/Main/Mac
with your notes below.

Many thanks to you and Patricia for looking into this.

_Christopher

--
Christopher Brooks (cxh at eecs berkeley edu) University of California
Chess Executive Director                      US Mail: 337 Cory Hall