[kepler-dev] Question regarding distributed kepler

Derik Barseghian barseghian at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Sep 8 10:56:29 PDT 2008

Hi Yaser,

On Sep 6, 2008, at 1:23 PM, Yaser Jararweh wrote:

> Dear Derik,
>
> I hope my email find you doing vrey well,
>
> FYI, we are now using the SVN version of kepler and we are now able
> to write our own Actors from scratch, also we connect Kepler with
> DataTurbin by building an interface between both of them to read and
> write the data streaming.

Interesting. I am curious to know the details of what you have
designed and what datastreams you are dealing with.
And were you able to make use of the DataTurbine actor?

> We are now working to distribute our models over a cluster of
> computing nodes, and we have some question regarding this issue.
>
> 1- Can we write and compile our own director (customise director).

Yes. Please see this thread for details, eventually following the link
to Edward's presentations about directors:
http://mercury.nceas.ucsb.edu/ecoinformatics/pipermail/kepler-dev/2008-July/006477.html

> 2- Can we have a a director that control other directors from
> different types.

Yes. Please see this paper:
http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/Pubs/TechRpts/2007/EECS-2007-139.pdf

Also, this thread discusses contained directors a bit:

> 3- we noted that u have something regard the distributed Kepler
> using (RMI) but there is no real implementation for it, can you
> explain for us what are you planning to do regarding that issues.

Did you see the webpage about this?
http://www.kepler-project.org/Wiki.jsp?page=InstallingDistributedWorkflows

Chad Berkley has been working on this. He may be able to give more
details.

> Also can we have a conference call with you to talk regard this
> issues.

Yes, maybe near the end of this week or next week (I'm leaving for the
EIM conference tomorrow). I haven't worked on distributed computing in
Kepler, so I will see if others who have could join a call. I will be
working on this in the future however. We are redesigning the Kepler
website, and it has a section for distributed computing that we hope
will be useful to the community for communication and collaboration
around this topic:
https://dev.kepler-project.org/developers/interest-groups/distributed

> --
> Thank You,